Skip to main content

University City

Philadelphia General Hospital as it appeared on a City ward map in 1909. 

The Philadelphia General Hospital, shown here in the 1940s, was the City’s only public hospital, the descendant institution of the Blockley Almshouse.   

This image looking west shows Franklin Field in 1903, eight years after its opening. The stadium was built on land transferred from Blockley Almshouse to the University of Pennsylvania in 1889.

The University Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology was built on former almshouse property across Vintage Avenue from HUP and several blocks west of the almshouse and its hospital buildings. The Museum opened in its first phase in 1899; the rotunda was completed in 1915. 

This image shows in the foreground Furness Library, Penn’s first library, whose architect was the industrial age architect Frank Furness, with College Hall in the background. The library was built on former almshouse land and was dedicated in 1891. 

This image from 1888 shows the original building of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, which was completed in 1874 as part of the 10-acre tract transferred from Blockley Almshouse to the University in 1870.  

College Hall was the first University of Pennsylvania building to rise in the 10-acre tract of Blockley Almshouse property purchased by the Penn trustees in 1870. It was designed by the architect Thomas Webb Richards, built with green serpentine stone, and opened to students in 1892. 

Philadelphia General Hospital, formerly Blockley Almshouse, photographed in 1913, when the institution was transitioning to become exclusively a public hospital. The view is west and uphill from the trestle of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Courtyard of the Blockley Almshouse in 1900.

Blockley Almshouse Insane Department in 1899.