Skip to main content

Advanced Search

Dick Clark, the nation’s first “national deejay,” began his stellar career in television at the podium of American Bandstand at WFIL-TV in West Philadelphia. 

Dick Clark at his customary podium on American Bandstand as the program’s teenagers dance. 

This undated photo taken for the City Parks Association of Philadelphia shows remains of West End Mill in their alignment with Catherine Avenue. The top of the S-curve access road aligns with Cedar Avenue. 

The historic gate to the Union Stock Yards is all that remains of that monument to industrial meat. The Yards closed in 1971.

Machinery Hall displayed America’s industrial might in numerous exhibits. The building’s centerpiece exhibit was the Corliss Engine. This Currier & Ives lithograph provides a rare glimpse of the horse cars that transported visitors thorough the fairgrounds on rail tracks. 

A decorative statue of the black abolitionist and AME church founder Richard Allen (1760–1831) was to have been placed on the Centennial Exposition grounds, but the project ran afoul of the era’s racial politics. A jury-rigged statue was finally mounted only days before the fair closed, and it was removed shortly thereafter. 

The world’s largest building at the time housed U.S. and international exhibits related to mining, metallurgy, science, and education

Memorial Hall’s front facade viewed from the southeast, with twin statues of the “Winged Pegasus” at left. Of Beaux Arts design, Memorial Hall was home to the Centennial Exposition’s art gallery. This monumental, domed building inspired the design of the German Reichstag building in Berlin.

PGH Main Administration Building

Incorporated in 1879, the New Century Club sprang from the committee work of the 1876 Women’s Pavilion. One of the nation’s first women’s clubs, it described itself as a “centre of thought and action among women.” The club spotlighted issues important to women and children. This image shows the club’s headquarters building in Philadelphia. 

Pages